One the many great things about kale is how little preparation is needed. Sure you can steam it, pan-fry it with some coconut or EVOO – but Yes, Joy’s preferred method is a good massage!
Yes, it might not be a new concept to all, but for those out there who haven’t been massaging their kale – your favourite hearty will be your new best friend if you give it a little love.
– 1 KALE bunch
– APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
– LEMON OR LIME
– 1 clove of GARLIC (optional - but do it!)
– SALT & PEPPER
- De-stem your kale by pulling off the leaves with your hands.
- WASH n SPIN your kale leaves - this very important - you need a salad spinner in your life if you don't already have one. and if you don't, drying it off on a clean tea towel will suffice
- peel and finely grate one clove of garlic into a large bowl big enough to fit the kale
- now add a SMALL GLUG of ACV (max 1 tablespoon) & a glug of EVOO (1-2 tablespoons) (or your choice of oil), squeeze the juice of HALF a lemon or lime and add a pinch of salt and pepper and the grated garlic.
- with clean hands, get to work gently massaging the kale with your fingertips and hands, don't be afraid to give a moderate scrunch
- massage for 2-3 minutes and the leaves will reduce, become more tender and less bitter
- eat right away or keep in fridge for up to 24 hours for maximum freshness
Want more KALE ideas? Check out Kale + Ponzu recipe